Volunteer at the Zoo
Be a Part of the Experience!
KZG Volunteer Mission Statement
The mission of Knoxville Zoo's Volunteer Program is to enhance the guests' experience through education about animals and conservation, by serving as ambassadors of the zoo. Further, the volunteers support and assist zoo staff with care and welfare of animals, outreach, education, special events, research and daily operations.
Knoxville Zoo's Volunteer Program can be an exciting experience for people of all ages. Adult Volunteers and Youth Volunteers alike, play a major role in guest relations, zoo education, special events, and many other exciting areas of the zoo!
The application process begins with a Volunteer Fair which is held each January. This provides an opportunity for interested individuals to learn more about the Volunteer Program.
We strongly encourage potential volunteers to attend the Volunteer Fair, however, it is not mandatory. Here you can pick up an application and learn how to effectively complete the form in order to increase your chances of being selected into this highly competitive program. A limited number of spaces are available for the Youth Volunteer Program.
Program and Training Dates
The semi-annual Volunteer Fair is scheduled for Saturday, January 24, 2015
from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Please come by and meet current Knoxville Zoo volunteers and get more information about the volunteer program. There will be another Volunteer Fair scheduled this summer.
Adult Volunteer Workshop
The next Adult Volunteer Workshop will be held on September 13, 14 and 20, 2014
from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Each day covers different topics, so attendance is required at all three workshop days. Class size is limited to ensure proper training, supervision and utilization of volunteers. Applications, a Background Check Release Form and a $25 deposit for this workshop will be due no later than Tuesday, September 9, 2014
. Please note that workshop dates are subject to change.
All volunteers must go through mentored training upon completion of the workshop. The first day of mentoring is Sunday, September 21, 2014.
There will be another Adult Volunteer Workshop in March 2015. Dates to be announced.
New Adult Volunteer Bridge Workshop
Bridge workshops are intended who want to begin volunteering sooner than the full workshop. Volunteers who complete the bridge workshop are limited to interpreting at specific animal exhibits. These individuals will also be required to attend the next full workshop and fulfill all volunteer requirements. Please check back for more information and dates.
Youth Volunteer Workshop
The Youth Volunteer Workshop is a 2-day class held in April. New Youth Volunteers must attend both days. A parent or guardian MUST attend the first 4 hours on the first day of the youth training.
2015 Youth Volunteer Application Packets are due February 24, 215 and must include:
- Completed Youth Volunteer Application
- Two signed letters of recommendation
- An essay on "Why I Want to Be a Zoo Volunteer"
- $25 application fee
This is a very competitive program with limited spaces. Youth with late and/or incomplete application packets WILL NOT be considered for the program.
What Do Volunteers Do?
There are many exciting things to do at Knoxville Zoo. A few examples of our volunteer opportunities include:
- Educational Programs - assist staff with classes and programs both on and off zoo grounds. Enrich learning experiences for our zoo guests or help take the zoo to schools, churches and other groups.
- Interpreters - share with guests the story of our animals, exhibits and the importance of their conservation using a variety of information and biofacts.
- Special Events - help staff work an array of educational and fundraising events including ZooCamp, Boo! at the Zoo and more.
- ZooAides - go behind the scenes and help the staff in the day-to-day operations of keeping the zoo running smoothly.
- Much, Much More - if you have special skills or talents, let us know - there are many varied areas of the zoo that need YOUR help!
- Please note: Due to strict animal husbandry guidelines and safety issues, there is no contact or inside-exhibit work with the majority or the animals at the zoo. Remember, this is for the animals' safety and well being as well as yours.
Fees and Requirements
- If you are not already a zoo member, you must become and remain a member throughout your career as a Knoxville Zoo volunteer. Contact the Membership department at (865) 637-5331 ext.305 to purchase a membership, or purchase online by clicking here.
- Cost of training for adults is $75, which covers uniform, name tag, and all training materials. Cost of youth volunteer training is $100. This one-time fee includes two volunteer uniform shirts, name tag, manual, training materials, staff time, mailing costs, and use of the zoo's facilities.
- Applicants to the Youth Volunteer Program must be between 13-17 years of age. Training is held in the spring of each year. The remainder of the calendar year is a probationary period.
- Adults ages 18 and over will be considered for the Adult Volunteer Program. Training is held in the spring and the fall.
- For the Youth Volunteer Program, complete and return the Youth Volunteer Application 2014 YVol Application.pdf. Youth must complete application in their own handwriting and list the other documents that are to be provided (essay, letters of recommendations). For the Adult Volunteer Program, complete and return the Adult Volunteer Form 2014 AVol Application.pdf.
- Once accepted into the program, Adult Volunteers must complete a 24-hour workshop (12-hours for Youth Volunteers). There is a mentor process immediately after the workshop.
- Each volunteer must be prepared to commit at least one-year of service. At least 50 hours of volunteering must be completed during this time, including 25 hours in education functions. Volunteer time is calculated for the calendar year.
- To keep volunteers updated and current on all information, required monthly meetings are held the third Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m.
We need YOUR help with Knoxville's biggest trick-or-treat event!
Are you looking for a fun volunteer opportunity for your group, club or organization? We can use your help! Boo! at the Zoo is Knoxville Zoo's annual fall celebration and fundraiser. Every year we entertain over 25,000 guests at this not so scary trick-or-treat event. The dates are October 9-12, 16-19 and 23-26.
You may volunteer by handing out treats, assisting in games and activities or dressing in costume. Together we can help our guests have a "spooky good time"!
All volunteers must be at least 16 years of age, no exception! Volunteers also have to be associated with a group, such as a school, club workplace, etc. We do not accept individual volunteers. All participants must turn in two forms by October 7: The Volunteer Agreement Form and the Volunteer Sign Up Form.
We need your help to make this another successful year. Any nights you can commit to Boo! will be greatly appreciated. Please contact Jessica Hurley at email@example.com or 865-637-5331, ext 374 to register your group.